19 January 2010

Interviewing Follies

Continuing on the theme of applying for jobs, I thought I'd share some interviewing follies that have happened to me, that I've observed others do, and that I've heard about. There is a moral to this story; if you want to skip the stories and get to the moral, scroll to past the bullet points.

  1. Missing your plane. I had an interview in a place that was about a 1-2 hour flight away. I flew out first thing in the morning and back last thing at night. Except I didn't fly out first thing in the morning: I missed my flight. Why? Because I cut flights close (someone once said "if you've never missed a flight, you're spending too much time in the airport") and the particular flight I was on left not out of a normal gate, but out of one of those that you have to take a shuttle bus to. I didn't know that, didn't factor in the extra 5 minutes, and missed the flight. I called the places I was interviewing at, re-arranged meetings and the day proceeded with a small hiccup.

    I ended up getting an offer from this place.
  2. Missing a meeting. I was interviewing at a different place, going through my daily meetings, got really tired and misread my schedule. I though I was done when in fact I had one meeting to go. I caught a cab to the airport, flew back home, and noticed a few frantic emails trying to figure out where I was (this is before I had an email-capable cell phone). (As an aside, someone once told me that they would intentionally skip meetings on interview days with people outside their area, figuring that neither the candidate nor the interviewee really wanted such a meeting. They would hang out in the restroom or something, and blame a previous meeting running long on the miss. This was not the case in my setting.)

    I did not end up getting an offer from this place.
  3. Someone interviewing here a long time ago was scheduled to give their talk using transparencies. Two minutes before the talk they realized that they had left them in the hotel room. The already-assembled audience was asked to stay put, the speaker was quickly driven to the hotel and back, and proceeded to give one of the best interview talks on record here.

    This person ended up getting a job offer.
  4. Someone interviewing somewhere I know left their laptop in their hotel, just like number 3. But instead of having their host drive them back to the hotel, they borrowed someone's car to drive back to the hotel. They crashed the car, but managed to get their laptop, and gave a great talk.

    This person ended up getting a job offer.
  5. I flew in late to an interview, getting to my hotel around midnight. I woke up the next morning at seven for an 8:30 breakfast meeting. I unpacked my suit, tie, belt, socks and shoes. And realized I had forgotten to pack a dress shirt. All I had was the shirt I had worn on the plane: a red graphic tee shirt. My mind quickly raced to figure out if there was a place I could buy a dress shirt in the middle of nowhere at 7am. I quickly realized that it was impossible, wore my tee shirt under my suit jacket, and went through the day as if that was how I had planned it.

    I ended up getting a job offer.
The moral of this story is that bad things happen during interviews. I can't compare any of my stories to the crash-the-car story, but we've all been there, done stupid things, and gotten through it unscathed. I think the trick is to pretend like it was intentional, or at least not get flustered. Yes I missed my flight, yes I forgot my shirt, yes I crashed your car. But it doesn't affect the rest of my day. You have to be able to relax and forgive yourself minor mistakes: the interviewers really are looking at the bigger picture.

That said, there are definitely things you can do to botch an interview. They have to do with things like giving a bad talk (my experience is that a huge weight is placed on the quality of your job talk) and not having a clear vision for where you're going in research life. Don't be afraid to disagree with people you're talking to: we usually aren't trying to hire yes-men or yes-women. Once you get a job, especially a faculty job, you are the one who is going to make things happen for you. You have a world view and that's part of what we're hiring. Let us see it. We might not always agree, but if you have reasons for your view that you can articulate, we'll listen.

But don't focus on the little things, and don't get flustered.

13 comments:

Erik Engbrecht said...

I had an interview. I explicitly scheduled it during spring break because I was already missing a lot of classes due to interviews. I flew in the night before, picked up my rental car, and went to the hotel. All these were arranged by the company where I was interviewing. The flight and the car were fine, but when I got to the hotel didn't have my reservation. Turned out it was for the following week. No problem, though, they had space available, called the travel agency, and made appropriate changes. This should have been a sign.

The next day I show up for my interview. I walked up to the receptionist and told her I was there for interviews. She said I wasn't on the list and called someone from HR. The person from HR said I wasn't supposed to be there, I was scheduled for next week. I told her that I explicitly scheduled it this week, because it was spring break, and that they had arranged all my transportation so if it was the wrong day I would have been physically incapable of being present.

She rushed to arrange to find interviewers for me. I received the job offers from two different departments. I accepted neither of them.

North Carolina Divorce Attorneys said...

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.

North Carolina Attorneys, North Carolina
In North Carolina
, North C Lawyers, North Carolina Law Firms,
North Carolina Law Offices, North Carolina
Legal Services
, Attorneys
arolina Lawyer
Directory
, North Carolina Attorney
Directory
, North Carolina Accident Attorneys, North Carolina Administrative & Governmental Law Attorneys, North Carolina Adoption Attorneys, North Carolina Agricultural Law Attorneys, North Carolina Appeals Attorneys, North Carolina Arbitration & Mediation Services, North Carolina Arbitration & Mediation Services Attorneys, North Carolina Asbestos Diseases Attorneys, North Carolina Asset Protection Attorneys, North Carolina Attorneys, North Carolina Attorneys&#; Information & Referral Services, North Carolina Attorneys&#; Support Services, North Carolina Banking & Investment Law Attorneys, North Carolina Bankruptcy Attorneys, North Carolina Business Services, North Carolina Child Abuse Law Attorneys

Lawyer North Dakota said...

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later ..

State of North Dakota Lawyer Directory,
North Dakota Attorney Search,
North Dakota Lawyers Search, Find
A North Dakota Attorney Lawyers
, North Dakota Civil Law Attorneys, North Dakota Collection Law Attorneys, North Dakota Computers & Technology Law Attorneys, North Dakota Constitutional Law Attorneys, North Dakota Construction Law Attorneys, North Dakota Consumer Protection Attorneys, North Dakota Domestic Partnerships Attorneys, North Dakota Drug Charges Attorneys, North Dakota DUI/DWI Attorneys, North Dakota Education Law Attorneys, North Dakota Elder Law Attorneys, North Dakota Land Use & Zoning Attorneys, North Dakota Landlord & Tenant Law Attorneys, North Dakota Legal Information Services, North Dakota Legal Services, North Dakota Trial Attorneys, North Dakota Vehicular Accident Attorneys, North Dakota Whistleblower Attorneys, North Dakota Workers&#; Compensation Attorneys, North Dakota Wrongful Death Attorneys, North Dakota Wrongful Termination Attorneys

Anonymous said...

Ahh...number 5 explains it. =)

Which offer are you going to accept?

Charles Sutton said...

HAHAHAHA! I love the red T-shirt story. They must have thought you were uber-hip.

Unknown said...

ed hardy clothing ,.,.
ed hardy t shirts,.,.
ed hardy shirts,.,.,.,
ed hardy men’s shirts,.
ed hardy boots.,.
ed hardy shoes.
ed hardy jeans.
ed hardy handbags..,.
ed hardy wallets.
ed hardy women’s handbags,.
ed hardy sunglasses,.
ed hardy wholesale,.
ed hardy christian audigier,.
ed hardy hoodies ,.
ed hardy jackets,.
ed hardy outerwear,.,.
ed hardy jacket,.
ed hardy swimwear,.
ed hardy love kills slowly.
ed hardy sneakers,.
wholesale ed hardy shirts.
ed hardy shirts for men,.
ed hardy shirts cheap ,.
ed hardy t shirts for women,.
cheap ed hardy clothing,.
ed hardy shirts .
ed hardy t shirts.,.,.
ed hardy long sleeve.
ed hardy men’s,..
ed hardy women’s,.
wholesale ed hardy,.
ed hardy uk,.
ed hardy shoes,.
ed hardy boots,.,.
ed hardy snow boots,.,.,
ed hardy winter boots,.,.,
ed hardy kid’s,.,.
ed hardy hoodies
ed hardy jackets.,.,.,
ed hardy sunglasses,.,.
ed hardy handbags,.,.,
ed hardy wallets,.,.,.
ed hardy swimwear

Unknown said...

What a great post, I actually found it very thought provoking, you just never know sometimes when a golden nugget of information is going to land at your feet, thanks
New Jersey Real Estate Attorneys Commercial & Industrial, New Jersey Residential Real Estate Attorneys, New Jersey Sexual Abuse Attorneys, New Jersey Sexual Harassment Attorneys, New Jersey Small Business Planning Attorneys, New Jersey Social Security Attorneys, New Jersey Tax Attorneys, New Jersey Tort Attorneys, New Jersey Toxic Substances Attorneys, New Jersey Traffic Law Attorneys, New Jersey Transportation & Public Utilities Law Attorneys

Unknown said...

A fantastic read….very literate and informative. Many thanks….what theme is this you are using and also, where is your RSS button ?
Vermont Attorneys, Vermont
Lawyers
, Vermont Law Firms,
Vermont Law Offices, Vermont
Legal Services
, Attorneys
In Vermont
, Vermont Lawyer
Directory
, Vermont Attorney
Directory
, Vermont Accident Attorneys, Vermont Administrative & Governmental Law Attorneys, Vermont Adoption Attorneys, Vermont Agricultural Law Attorneys, Vermont Appeals Attorneys, Vermont Arbitration & Mediation Services

Anonymous said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It’s the old what goes around comes around routine.
Minnesota motorcycle insurance, Mississippi motorcycle insurance, Missouri motorcycle insurance, Montana motorcycle insurance, Nebraska motorcycle insurance, Nevada motorcycle insurance, New Hampshire motorcycle insurance, New Jersey motorcycle insurance, New Mexico motorcycle insurance, New York motorcycle insurance,

Anonymous said...

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That’s a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith.
There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That’s a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith.

combattery84 said...

Laptop battery
ACER Laptop Battery
ASUS Laptop Battery
COMPAQ Laptop Battery
Dell Laptop Battery
HP Laptop Battery
IBM Laptop Battery
SONY Laptop Battery
TOSHIBA Laptop Battery
APPLE M8403 battery
APPLE A1078 Battery
APPLE A1079 battery
APPLE A1175 battery
APPLE a1185 battery 1
APPLE A1189 battery
Acer aspire 5920 battery
Acer btp-arj1 battery
Acer LC.BTP01.013 battery

Acer ASPIRE 1300 battery
Acer ASPIRE 1310 battery
Acer Aspire 1410 battery
Acer ASPIRE 1680 battery
ACER BTP-63D1 battery
ACER BTP-43D1 battery
Acer lc.btp05.001 battery
Acer aspire 3000 battery
Acer Travelmate 4000 battery
ACER aspire 5560 battery
ACER BATBL50L6 battery
ACER TravelMate 240 Battery
ACER BT.00803.004 Battery
ACER Travelmate 4002lmi battery
Acer travelmate 800 battery

combattery84 said...

ACER Travelmate 4002lmi battery
Acer travelmate 800 battery
Acer aspire 3613wlmi battery
Travelmate 2414wlmi battery
Acer batcl50l battery
Acer Travelmate 2300 battery
ACER aspire 3610 battery
ACER travelmate 4600 battery
Dell Latitude D800 battery
Dell Inspiron 600m battery
Dell Inspiron 8100 Battery
Dell Y9943 battery
Dell Inspiron 1521 battery
Dell Inspiron 510m battery
Dell Latitude D500 battery
Dell Latitude D520 battery
Dell GD761 battery
Dell NF343 battery
Dell D5318 battery
Dell G5260 battery
Dell Inspiron 9200 battery
Dell Latitude C500 battery
Dell HD438 Battery
Dell GK479 battery
Dell PC764 battery
Dell KD476 Battery
Dell Inspiron 1150 battery

ylinling001 said...

I like your article, really interesting! My point is also very good, I hope you'll like:chi flat iron are a very popular choice of hair straightener.New Balance,new Blance shoes,new Blance Outlet are some of the most comfortable and stylish shoes on the market today. The designer has a whole range of shoes for all types of athletes. five finger shoes,vibram five fingers,Five fingers shoes give women the feeling of walking barefoot while still keeping the feet protected.