05 May 2006

Search-based Structured Prediction

I normally would not make a post such as this one (my blog is not my advertisementsphere), but given that it is unlikely this paper will appear in a conference in the near future (and conferences are just ads), I decided to include a link. John, Daniel and I have been working on an algorithm called Searn for solving structured prediction problems. I believe that it will be useful to NLP people, so I hope this post deserves the small space it takes up.

2 comments:

Kevin Duh said...

Hey, don't be set back by this. I think this is a very good paper and I'm sure that the community will recognize its contributions pretty soon!

Jacob Eisenstein said...

In response to Daniel's comment, which proposes blog-viewing as a replacement for conference attending: taking that approach to the extreme (which I'm sure is not the way he meant it), if you only read papers on the blogs of people you know, nobody new really has much of a chance, do they?

Sure, the peer review process is a crapshoot, but it's a (more or less) fair crapshoot, meaning that everybody has about the same chance of being torpedoed by an ignorant reviewer (whether or not you think that happened in this case). Hal can "publish" a submission on a blog and be assured that a large proportion of the community will read it, but not everybody has that luxury.

Anyway, I agree with Kevin -- I like this stuff, and I hope you get it published at another forum sometime soon.